Hip Replacement Surgery
What causes hip arthritis ?
Conditions which cause Hip arthritis [wearing away of the hip joint] are
- A vascular necrosis/ perthes disease, which shut down the blood supply of the hip.
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Other conditions such as dislocated hips and previous fractures.
- Long term steroid use, alcoholism, etc.
Management of hip arthritis include exercises and medication in the initial Stages, In a few cases corrective bone surgery [osteotomy] and in some severe cases hip replacement is done.
Timing of Total Hip Replacement (THR):
A hip replacement should be performed after conservative methods have failed and if a patient's quality of life and ability to perform activities ofdaily living is significantly affected. Many different non-operative modalities should be tried first. These include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, weight loss and walking assistance devices.
In recent years, cement less hip replacements have become standard all over the world with 90% success rate at an average follow-up of five years.
Hip replacement Types:
- Conventional cemented hip replacement.
- Cement less total hip replacement.
- Highly cross-linked polyethylene.
- Hip Resurfacing System.(latest).
- Metal on metal total hip prosthesis.(latest)
Surface hip replacement